Monday, January 09, 2023

5. Doomsday Book


Doomsday Book. Connie Willis. 1992. Random House. 592 pages.  [Source: Book I Bought]

First sentence: Mr. Dunworthy opened the door to the laboratory and his spectacles promptly steamed up.
"Am I too late?" he said, yanking them off and squinting at Mary.
"Shut the door," she said. "I can't hear you over the sound of those ghastly carols."
Dunworthy closed the door, but it didn't completely shut out the sound of "O Come, All Ye Faithful" wafting in from the quad. "Am I too late?" he said again.  

 Premise/plot: In a world where historians learn their subject firsthand by time travel, Kivrin, our heroine--one of them--is sent to the middle ages to learn just "how exaggerated" (according to her professor/advisor Gilchrist) the accounts of the Black Death were. That's spinning it a bit. Kivrin is there to LEARN and OBSERVE and ABSORB. Technically, she's to be sent to 1320--the Advent/Christmas/Epiphany season in OXFORD. But that's if all goes according to plan and there are no mix-ups or mistakes. Mr. Dunworthy, our hero, has a bad feeling that those in charge of the project are incapable and incompetent and imbeciles. The book opens moments before she is sent back in time....it isn't long before Dunworthy has reason to panic...

But this book isn't about one man's panic--his helicopter teaching, if you will. It is about TWO pandemics. One is set in the present of 2054. This pandemic requires a quarantine, contact tracing, mask-wearing, and safety protocols. With it comes toilet paper shortages--along with soap! The present story line is full of mystery and action. The other is set in the past--the Black Death. There is a theme of helplessness in both.

My thoughts: Doomsday Book by Connie Willis is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite, favorite, favorite books. This is my SIXTH time to read and review it. I last reviewed it in 2020. I love and adore this book so much. It is set during Christmas/Epiphany. It's just a book that calls out to me every year to reread. I started it in December of 2022, but didn't finish up until this past weekend!


© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her books - Blackout and All Clear - are some of my favorites of all time. I will have to look into this one (buy it - my library doesn't carry it). Thanks for the suggestion!

Snapdragon said...

So may people recommend Connie Willis that I'm going to has to give one of her books a try.

Marg said...

I loved this book but haven't really considered re-reading it again until nowl

Thank you for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge