Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Swoon At Your Own Risk (YA)


Swoon at Your Own Risk. Sydney Salter. 2010. April 2010. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 356 pages.

I am not noticing his green eyes. Or the way the sun has already streaked his hair blond. I am not.

I liked this one. Our heroine is Polly Martin. And she's a girl with some issues. Polly has spent so much time trying to be loved by the various guys in her life, that she doesn't know who she is. Her likes and dislikes, her hobbies, her goals change with each new guy. One thing is certain though. Polly is unhappy and confused. So what's a girl to do when she can't help noticing cute guys? Can Polly learn to be honest with herself?

It may not be the most sophisticated book I've ever read. (It's a light read though not without substance.) But it was always something I wanted to pick back up. It wasn't a chore to read this one! It was fun to read something so pleasurable, something that wasn't so depressing or heartbreaking. I liked spending time with Polly. I liked her new love interest, Xander. I liked Polly's grandmother, Miss Swoon. (I was not such a fan of Sonnet, however.) It was an enjoyable read. It reminded me (in a good way) of Runaway Bride.

Other reviews: Serenehours, Pop Culture Junkie, Just Your Typical Book Blog, The Book Muncher, Books By Their Covers.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Totally agreed. I thought it was just a good read. But I thought there was more to Polly and her story in the end. She was dealing with some inner demons that were not apparent on the surface right away.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Sounds cute! A nice, light read is always good once in a while.

Michelle said...

I too enjoy picking up a fluff just for fun book now and then. I'll have to remember this one for later ;)