Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Koko Be Good


Koko Be Good. Jen Wang. 2010. September 2010. First Second. 304 pages.

Koko is a graphic novel about three twenty-somethings trying "to be good." These are three characters trying to be find themselves, trying to discover what they want to do with their lives, trying to make a difference, trying to be the best they can be while staying somewhat true to themselves. Our characters are Jon, Koko, and Faron. Their individual stories become somewhat connected throughout the novel.

I'm not always a fan of graphic novels. Many I find more confusing than entertaining. But there was something compelling about Koko Be Good. I may not always understand these three characters, understand the choices they make. But there's an honesty about it that I found compelling.

From one of Koko's "broadcasts":
This time I have a question. I just want to ask you, listeners...if you think you're good people. And if you are, how would you know? Is it something you always knew? Or was it something you found? I think some people are just naturally good at it...But if being Good is supposed to be right, is it worth trying to be something you're not? Just because it's right? (251-252)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love graphic novels, so this sounds great for me! Thanks for reviewing it - I hadn't heard of this one.