Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Detection Unlimited (1944)

Detection Unlimited. Georgette Heyer. 1944/2010. Sourcebooks. 378 pages.

This is the fourth Georgette Heyer mystery I've read. I really loved the first two I read: Why Shoot a Butler and Envious Casca. I had a few issues with Duplicate Death, though it wasn't awful. I enjoyed Detection Unlimited much more than Duplicate Death. But I still can't say that I loved it as much as Envious Casca and Why Shoot a Butler.

Inspector Hemingway is called to solve a murder case. The victim was VERY unpopular in his neighborhood. And there are plenty of likely suspects from all sorts of backgrounds. The neighborhood has more secrets than one might expect. Each suspect has a theory of who did it. And they're all most cooperative to point out why everyone else has a better motive and/or better opportunity. But the Inspector doesn't need each suspect to play detective as well!

Many scenarios are presented in this one, but the solving of the mystery is so sudden and rushed that I didn't find it satisfying.

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Post :) nice review.