Saturday, September 14, 2013

Blogging Advice from L.M. Montgomery

Two years is about long enough for things to stay exactly the same. If they stayed put any longer they might grow mossy. ~ Anne of Avonlea

If we have friends we should look only for the best in them and give them the best that is in us, don't you think? Then friendship would be the most beautiful thing in the world. ~ Anne of Avonlea

It is never pleasant to have our old shrines desecrated, even when we have outgrown them. ~ Anne of the Island

We mustn't let next week rob us of this week's joy. ~ Anne of the Island

But FEELING is so different from KNOWING. ~ Anne of the Island

We are never half so interesting when we have learned that language is given us to enable us to conceal our thoughts. ~ Anne of the Island

Experience teaches sense. ~ Anne of the Island

When you've learned to laugh at the things that should be laughed at, and not to laugh at those that shouldn't, you've got wisdom and understanding. ~ Anne of the Island

But a few italics really do relieve your feelings. ~ Anne of Windy Poplars

One can always find something lovely to look at or listen to ~ Anne of Windy Poplars

Are there, or are there not, two 'c's' in recommend'? In spite of the fact that I am a B.A. I can never be certain. ~ Anne of the Island

Somebody else's experience can never be yours. ~ Blue Castle

Oh, if I could only put things into words as I see them! Mr. Carpenter says, 'Strive--strive--keep on--words are your medium--make them your slaves--until they will say for you what you want them to say.' That is true--and I do try--but it seems to me there is something beyond words--any words--all words--something that always escapes you when you try to grasp it--and yet leaves something in your hand which you wouldn't have had if you hadn't reached for it.  ~ Emily Climbs

Well, it all comes to this, there's no use trying to live in other people's opinions. The only thing to do is to live in your own. ~ Emily Climbs

Don't let a three-o'clock-at-night feeling fog your soul. ~ Emily's Quest

There is always such a fascinating expectancy and uncertainty about the mail. ~ Emily's Quest

However, I feel much better now than when I began this entry. I've got quite a bit of resentment and rebellion and discouragement out of my system. That's the chief use of a diary, I believe. ~ Emily's Quest

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Suko 5:36 PM  

Wonderful advice (and uncannily relevant)!

sally apokedak 6:44 PM  

Love these! Thanks!

Charlotte 4:05 PM  

this is great! Thanks, Becky!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP