Sunday, February 22, 2015

Revisiting On the Banks of Plum Creek (1937)

On the Banks of Plum Creek. Laura Ingalls Wilder. 1937. 340 pages. [Source: Library]

I love Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series. I do. And On the Banks of Plum Creek, while not my absolute favorite--that would be The Long Winter or possibly These Happy Golden Years--is worth rereading every few years. One thing I hadn't noticed until this last reread is that the Ingalls' family celebrates three Christmases in this one book!

Plenty of things happen in On The Banks of Plum Creek:
  • the family moves into a sod house
  • the family moves into a wooden house with real glass windows
  • the family gets oxen and horses
  • the girls start school
  • the family attends church
  • crops are planted and lost
  • Pa leaves the family behind twice to go in search of work
  • hard weather is endured
  • Laura gets in and out of trouble (she almost drowns in this one)
The book is enjoyable and satisfying. I love the illustrations by Garth Williams. I remember them just as well as I do the text itself.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word 9:54 PM  

I love how you go back and revisit so many old favorites! :)

Barbara H. 9:02 AM  

I just finished The Long Winter a few days ago, and while it is not the most fun read, I love it for the endurance the family showed through that hard winter. They endure a lot through many of the books - my former pastor used to talk admiringly about people he called "pioneer stock," and that endurance is probably what he meant.

I do remember On the Banks of Plum Creek as being one where quite a lot happened. I enjoyed the girls' days in school the most, I think.

Thanks for participating in the LIW Challenge!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP