Thursday, November 12, 2015

I Really Like Slop!

I Really Like Slop! Mo Willems. 2015. Disney-Hyperion. 64 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: La! La! La! Hi, Gerald! Hi, Piggie! Yikes! What is that?! THIS is slop!

Premise/plot: Gerald and Piggie are best friends. Piggie really, really, REALLY loves slop. Gerald, well, let's just say that he thinks it smells HORRIBLE. Absolutely horrible. Can Piggie get Gerald to try slop? Will he survive the experience?

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one very much. I did. One person's idea of "yummy, yummy" food MIGHT just be another person's idea of slop. Though in this instance, it is actually slop. (The flies are a clue. As is the fact that Piggie herself says it has old shoes in it.) If Piggie had been eating broccoli or spinach, Gerald's bravery would have made more sense, and the illustrations would have been even funnier. That being said, I have no complaints about this one. Loved the text. Loved the illustrations. And, of course, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the characters.

Hint: Notice the endpapers!

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: