Friday, November 06, 2015

The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas. Clement Clarke Moore. Illustrated by David Ercolini. 2015. [September] 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: 'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse; The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that Saint Nicholas soon would be there.

Premise/plot: A classic holiday poem has been published with new illustrations.

My thoughts: Love the original poem. I do. But do I love the poem paired with these new illustrations? I can't say that I do. The illustrations are certainly odd and unique. Very taste specific, I'd say! The illustrations are quite detailed, very, very busy. This family doesn't just decorate for Christmas. They DECORATE. For example, they hang ornaments on their lamp shades. For me, I thought it was a little too much. I didn't really like it. But other readers may enjoy it.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 2 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: