Sunday, November 01, 2015

Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys! Heidi Deedman. 2015. Candlewick. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: When Lulu was a baby, she was given a very special one-and-only toy-- a lovely fluffy teddy bear. Lulu named him Jupiter, and she loved him very, very much.

Premise/plot: Lulu, our heroine, has way too many toys by the time she's five. (The book mentions how many toys come on birthdays and at Christmas.) She know she can't play with them all, or, love them all. So what does Lulu decide to do with her many, many toys?!

My thoughts: I liked this one. I did. I actually liked it very much. I loved the text.
"Breakfast time was messy. TV time was noisy. Playtime was rowdy. Bath time was splishy-splashy. And then...it was Christmas." 
I loved the illustrations too. They are different in the best way possible. There is something charming and just right about them. (Though part of me wishes Lulu had longer hair. Is that wrong of me?) I did notice that Lulu's parents are never mentioned in the text or included in the illustrations. I'm curious as to why! The toys have to be coming from somewhere, right?! And what do her parents think of her problem and her solution? You know they have to have an opinion!

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: