Thursday, June 30, 2016

More Many Mini Reviews (Period Drama)

Madness of King George (1994)
I loved it and I hated it. I really pitied the King in many, many, many, many places. And the way he was treated by his doctors and by his SON and by some of the politicians was heartbreaking. There were a few scenes that just ANGERED ME. That being said, the KING could be a trouble-maker. This film was beautiful at times. But I really wish it had had subtitles. I don't really think it's appropriate to call it "funny and entertaining."


Von Trapp Family: A Life of Music (2016)
So glad I watched this one. It is one of those movies with an embedded flashback. The "current" story has Agathe reaching out to her great niece--a teenager, I believe--who is determined to run away from her "mean" father and stepmother. She shares her life story with her, and, that life story is, of course, of the Von Trapp Family. It is a very different movie than The Sound of Music. I really enjoyed this one for the most part.


Jane Eyre (1944)
Is this my absolute favorite adaptation of Jane Eyre??? Probably not. But Orson Welles is super-charismatic and this one is very gothic. I really do love it! It may not be faithful to the book, but, as a movie it excels!!!

The Seventh Cross (1944)
DRAMA at its finest. This is set in Nazi Germany and it's INTENSE but oh-so-good. It's about seven prisoners who escape and what happens to them all....

Nicholas Nickleby (1977)
My friend was right. This is a GREAT, GREAT version of Nicholas Nickleby. Yes, it is long. But it is funny and charming in places. One always knows which characters to boo and hiss with Dickens, and which to just laugh at. I would recommend this version over the one I reviewed previously!!!

She Stoops to Conquer (2009)
I love this one. I've seen it twice now. And it is very funny. You wouldn't think a centuries-old play would make you laugh, but, it does!

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: