Monday, October 15, 2012

Origin (YA)

Origin. Jessica Khoury. 2012. Penguin. 372 pages.

I'm told that the day I was born, Uncle Paolo held me against his white lab coat and whispered, "She is perfect." 

Origin has an interesting premise. Pia has grown up in the Amazon jungle almost completely unaware of the world outside the Little Cam research community. She is the result of five generations of experimentation and genetic engineering. The goal, the quest, immortality. And with Pia, at last, they've done it. But it has required great sacrifice. Pia is blind to just how much sacrifice, especially in the beginning. She is so excited to be PERFECT and so excited to be the first of her kind, so trusting, so loyal that she just can't wait to become a scientist too. To take her place alongside those who have almost manufactured her. But one night Pia becomes curious, and what she discovers in the jungle changes everything...

I liked this one. I found it an interesting, fast-paced read.

Read Origin
  • If you like science fiction (genetic engineering; quest for immorality)
  • If you like mysteries and thrillers
  • If you enjoy YA with a little romance

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are your reviews always so short these days?

Melissa Yates said...

Hi Becky, Thanks for your review. I have been catching glimpses of Origin for awhile now and been passing over it for really no reason at all. Even though this review is short it is actually quite to the point and has peaked my interest in the book.

I think I will pick it up as my next read and I will also be sharing it in a post on my own blog on Tuesday as a recommendation to read this fall. Personally, I tend to read quite a bit of YA novels and find them enjoyable. In ways I think the border between what is considered YA and just plain A is sort of fading as time goes on. Anyway, thanks for bringing this book to my attention. Have a good one! Melissa - The Novel Sphere