Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Giver (MG/YA)

The Giver. Lois Lowry. 1993. Houghton Mifflin. 180 pages.

 It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened. No. Wrong word, Jonas thought. Frightened meant that deep, sickening feeling of something terrible about to happen. Frightened was the way he had felt a year ago when an unidentified aircraft had overflown the community twice. He had seen it both times. Squinting toward the sky, he had seen the sleek jet, almost a blur at its high speed, go past, and a second later heard the blast of sound that followed. Then one more time, a moment later, from the opposite direction, the same plane.

This is my third blog review for The Giver. (My first review. My second review.)

I decided to reread The Giver in anticipation of Lois Lowry's newest book, Son. While there have been two companion books to The Giver--Gathering Blue and Messenger--Son will be the sequel to The Giver. I knew I would need to reread the three previous books in order to fully, fully appreciate and enjoy Son.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Giver. It is one of my favorite, favorite books. No matter how many times I read it, I just continue to love it and think it is one of the best books ever. The same conversations get me every time. I just think it's a book EVERYONE should try.

It's a quick read, but a memorable one. The world Lowry has created in haunting and unique. I've read a handful of dystopian novels lately--including Yesterday, Bar Code Tattoo, The Forsaken, Once, Eleventh Plague, Rootless, etc. just to mention the ones I've read this past month or so--and while many dystopias are good, there's something almost magical about this one. The WAY she has written the story. There's not too much telling and not enough showing. To me, it doesn't feel forced or unnatural. It isn't too didactic. The characters feel authentic to the world, and fully developed. That is why it is so chilling, so horrific, so wonderfully haunting. 


Read The Giver
  • If you're a fan of Lois Lowry
  • If you want to read one of the best, best books ever written
  • If you're looking for a timeless, classic dystopian novel 
  • If you enjoy science fiction, dystopias
  • If you enjoy children's literature
  • If you're looking for a Newbery

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Linda said...

I just read The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Messenger this year. Great series that I can't believe I never read.

Suko said...

I love this book, too, Becky. I'd wanted to read it for a long time before I actual did, and it did not disappoint me.

CarpeDiem said...

I didn't know there are companion books to the Giver. The Giver is on my re-read list. Great, informative review!

hopeinbrazil said...

Yes, this is one of my all-time favorites. I read Messenger, but still haven't got around to Gathering Blue. Thanks for prodding me to get going on that.

Kayleigh D'Aoust said...

Read The Giver in my grade 8 novel stud and I really liked it as well.