Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Three Times Lucky (MG)

Three Times Lucky. Sheila Turnage. 2012. Penguin. 256 pages.

Trouble cruised into Tupelo Landing at exactly seven minutes past noon on Wednesday, the third of June, flashing a gold badge and driving a Chevy Impala the color of dirt. Almost before the dust had settled, Mr. Jesse turned up dead and life in Tupelo Landing turned upside down. 

I really LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage. I just loved the narrator, Miss Moses LoBeau. I loved her voice, found it unique and authentic. I loved her from page one. I found her coming of age story--a true murder mystery--compelling and wonderful. I loved the small town setting. I loved getting to know the people of the community. I loved seeing their quirks--their strengths and weaknesses. I liked seeing Mo's pieced together family. She was discovered floating in a river after a hurricane; she doesn't have a clue who her biological mother and father are. But she does have a family, a flawed family to be sure, but a very loving family. There are a couple of mysteries to solve in this one, and it has plenty of action. So it isn't all focused on characters, but, the characters were probably my favorite part of this one!!!

Read Three Times Lucky
  • If you like great children's books
  • If you enjoy mysteries AND coming-of-age stories
  • If you like strong narratives and flawed characters
  • If you like Southern stories

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This one is on my TBR pile - thanks for the great review!