• What are you currently reading?
• Are there any quotes you'd like to share?
• Who would you recommend? Anyone you would NOT recommend?
• Favorite book you've read so far...
These are the books I've reviewed since last time:
13. Kidnapped. Robert Louis Stevenson. 1886. 276 pages. [Source: Bought]
14. Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen. 1811. 409 pages. [Source: Bought]
15. Hebrew Melodies. George Gordon, Lord Byron. 1815/1824. 70 pages. [Source: Bought]
16. Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family #2) Josi S. Kilpack. 2019. Shadow Mountain. 304 pages. [Source: Review copy]
Cecilia by Fanny Burney
Quotes from Kidnapped:
"Captain," says Alan, "I doubt your word is a breakable. Last night ye haggled and arglebargled like an apple wife; and then passed me your word, and gave me your hand to back it; and ye ken very well what was the upshot. Be damned to your word!" says he. (86)
I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both; and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first. (118)
At first I proposed I should give him for a signal the "Bonnie House of Airlie," which was a favorite of mine; but he objected that as the piece was very commonly known, any ploughman might whistle it by accident; and taught me instead a little fragment of a Highland air, which has run in my head from that day to this, and will likely run in my head when I lie dying. (239)I enjoyed all the books I've read so far.
© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews