Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Glimpse (YA)


Glimpse. Carol Lynch Williams. 2010. June 2010. Simon & Schuster. 496 pages.

In one moment
it is over.
In one moment
it is gone.
The morning grows
thin, gray

and our lives--
how they were--
have vanished.

Lizzie and Hope are sisters and best friends. Hope is almost thirteen, Lizzie just fourteen. But one day Hope gets a bit of a shock. She finds her sister, Lizzie, in a desperate moment. She finds her sister holding a gun, fingering the trigger. She does save her sister--in that moment--and Liz is taken to a place where she can get some help. But that is just the beginning of a mystery. For Hope can't understand what led Lizzie to such an act. Did her sister really want to die? Was it just a cry for help? Can Hope discover the truth--the real reason--behind Lizzie's actions?

The book is about Hope's journey to see the why.

Glimpse is a dark novel, a verse novel, for older teens. Carol Lynch Williams made me feel. It's rare for me to hate a mother so very, very much. But hate her I did. Glimpse may not be for every reader. It's dark, ugly, raw with pain. But it's very well written.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Tina's Blog 9:14 AM  

I just checked this one out yesterday. I am anxious to read it, even though it sounds rather dark.

Aubrey 2:28 PM  

It is a dark story, but I think it has a message of strength for the characters who go through such horrific things. I love Carol to death and thought this book was very moving.

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP