Saturday, April 02, 2016

My Thoughts on Doctor Zhivago

I recently watched Doctor Zhivago. It was a film my parents had seen a couple of times before. (Mom has definite thoughts on Omar Sharif. In fact, for years, that's all I've ever heard about this movie. I must admit she was right about him.) I had not seen it before. While mini-reviews for the Period Drama challenge are okay for films I've seen a dozen or so times, I wanted to be sure to capture my thoughts on this new-to-me film.

Omar Sharif. I have to say that he made this movie very watchable! He's probably a good reason why this movie is a classic.

Julie Christie as Lara worked for me more than I initially thought it would. The only other movie I've seen with her is Fahrenheit 451. That movie did not work for me...at all.

Alec Guinness plays Yuri Zhivago's half brother. I associate him with Star Wars so much, it was nice to see him in something else, and a bit younger looking too.

The music composed and conducted by Maurice Jarre. I love, love, love the music in this one! It definitely helped me persuade me that yes, I was liking this movie.

The story and content. Doctor Zhivago is intense drama, in a way. Its set during a violent, turbulent, bloody, cruel, horrifying period of Russian history. It focuses on two people: Lara and Doctor Zhivago mainly. For being a movie about a married man falling in love with a married woman, it was surprisingly tasteful. (As tasteful as it could be. It could have always been a lot worse.)  I am assuming the fact that it was 1965 has a little something to do with that. 

The Trailer



© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comments:

Stevalia 5:04 AM  

I have not seen Doctor Zhivago 1965 only the recent one with Keira Knightley, which was amazing.

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP