Saturday, April 23, 2016

My Thoughts on Young Victoria

The Young Victoria (2009)
Writer: Julian Fellowes
Score Composer: Ilan Eshkeri
Stars: Emily Blunt as Queen, Victoria, Rupert Friend as Prince Albert, Paul Bettany as Lord Melbourne, Jim Broadbent as King William

If I had to pick just one period drama to recommend, it might just be this one. That is how much I love, love, love, LOVE, and adore this one. Of course, as my best-good friend says, WHY would you ever have to choose?! And she does make a good point. I'll never have to choose just one of anything.

I love it from start to finish. There is plenty of tension and drama and ROMANCE. Is any of it embellished? Perhaps. Probably. Maybe. But I think there is plenty of reality to keep this romance grounded. 

Do I love the soundtrack? No, I love, love, LOVE the soundtrack. I may have even listened to the soundtrack more than I've rewatched the movie. Simply because it's great for having on in the background while I write reviews! Favorite song: Marriage Proposal

Do I love the costumes? Yes.

Do I love the story and the characters? Yes. This one is giddy-making and magical.

Is it clean--in terms of content? Relatively-mostly clean. Not "G" by any means. But the sensuality is relatively mild in terms of movie-making, and, it all occurs after marriage. For those who insist on squeaky clean, it's nothing that can't be fast-forwarded through painlessly. I'd say for those used to watching PG movies, this one wouldn't be anything objectionable.

Favorite quotes:

The opening voiceover:
Some people are born more fortunate than others. Such was the case with me. But as a child I was convinced of quite the opposite. What little girl does not dream of growing up as a princess? But some palaces are not at all what you would think. Even a palace can be a prison. Mama never explained why she would have someone taste my food, why I couldn't attend school with other children or read popular books. When my father died, Mama and her advisor, Sir John Conroy, created rules. He said they were for my protection, and he called it The Kensington System. I could not sleep in a room without Mama, or even walk downstairs without holding the hand of an adult. I learned the reason for all this when I was eleven: my Uncle William was the King of England, yet he and his three brothers could boast only one living child. And that was me. Sir John's dream was that the King would die and there would be a regency where my mother would rule England and he would rule my mother. So I began to dream of the day when my life would change and I might be free. And I prayed for the strength to meet my destiny.
Soon after this first meeting of cousins:
Princess Victoria: Do you ever feel like a chess piece yourself? In a game being played against your will.
Prince Albert: Do you?
Princess Victoria: Constantly. I see them leaning in and moving me around the board.
Prince Albert: The Duchess and Sir John?
Princess Victoria: Not just them. Uncle Leopold. The king. I'm sure half the politicians are ready to seize hold of my skirts and drag me from square to square.
Prince Albert: Then you had better master the rules of the game until you play it better than they can.
Princess Victoria: You don't recommend I find a husband to play it for me?
Prince Albert: I should find one to play it with you, not for you.
The oh-so-giddy-making proposal:
Prince Albert: I just got your note. I was riding.
Queen Victoria: Sit, please.
Prince Albert: The park is marvelous.
Queen Victoria: I'm so pleased you like it. I do want you to feel quite at home... I'm sure you're aware why I wished you to come here. Because it would make me happier than anything, too happy really, if you would agree to what I wish.
Prince Albert: And stay with you?
Queen Victoria: And stay with me.
Prince Albert: And marry you?
Queen Victoria: And marry me!
© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Joy Weese Moll said...

I enjoyed this one, too! I was absolutely fascinated by the Kensington System -- I ended up doing some research on it after watching the film.