Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Operation Bunny (Wings & Co. #1)

Operation Bunny. Sally Gardner. Illustrated by David Roberts. 2014. Henry Holt. 192 pages. [Source: Library]

I loved Operation Bunny. I loved it so much more than I thought I would. I loved it because it was just fun. Emily Vole, the heroine, was abandoned as an infant. She was left in a hatbox. She was adopted soon after she was found. (At first, authorities thought she was a bomb. That is they thought the hatbox contained a bomb.) But her adopted parents are truly awful which is somewhat typical in fantasy novels for children! As I was reading, I was reminded again and again of The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry. I LOVED that book. So it was a good sign for me! They were bad parents before the mom found out she was having triplets. After the triplets were born, well, things get strange in a horrid way. (They move her to the laundry room. Her bed is the ironing board.) Emily doesn't go to school. She's too busy earning her keep as a housekeeper. Of course, her mom gets upset that Emily never finishes all the chores on her list. The dad, for once, points out wisely, well, she can't read, dear. But. Things begin to look brighter for "poor Emily" once she meets the neighbor-next-door, Miss String, and the cat-next-door, Fidget. I just want to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Fidget (the talking cat). So this adventure-fantasy properly begins when Emily meets Fidget and Miss String and they learn that there's something very special about Emily! Of course, I could go on to tell of the villain and the evil plot...but I won't. I want you to discover this one yourself!

Operation Bunny is the first in a new series. I loved it and would definitely recommend it.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Cheryl Klarich said...

This looks really, really, good! Loved this review!
:)

Julie P. said...

Glad you enjoyed this one!