Saturday, January 24, 2015

Dory Fantasmagory (2014)

Dory Fantasmagory. Abby Hanlon. 2014. Penguin. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First, a definition:
Fantasmagory: a dream-like state where real life and imagination are blurred together. 

From chapter one:
My name is Dory, but everyone calls me Rascal. This is my family. I am the little kid. My sister's name is Violet and my brother's name is Luke. Violet is the oldest. Violet and Luke never want to play with me. They say I'm a baby.
"Mom! Rascal is bothering us!"
"What is she doing?" calls my mother.
"She's looking at us!"
"She's breathing." (1-2)

I loved, loved, LOVED Abby Hanlon's Dory Fantasmagory. I guess I'm not the only one. This one received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, and School Library Journal. I've just read it, and already I can't wait for the next book in the series: Dory and the Real True Friend. (July).

Dory is six. But. She still likes to stay in her nightgown instead of getting dressed. Even winter nightgowns, inside out and backwards in the summer. She has an imaginary friend, Mary, that is her best, best friend. Would Dory play with Luke and Violet if they let her? Sure!!! She'd love to play with either one or both. But. Since they don't want her near them, well, Mary is good and reliable to have around.

There are a few things you should know about Dory. One, Dory has a BIG imagination. She tends to live in a world all her own, a blurred reality, of sorts. Two, Dory's nickname I admit is a good one. Throughout the book she does indeed act like a Rascal. I could see how Dory's behavior could prove problematic for her parents. (Readers do see them getting upset with her, acting frustrated, etc.)

So. One day Luke and Violet decide to "scare" Dory. They tell her about Mrs. Gobble Gracker.... It doesn't take either one long to regret their brief venture into fantasy. They can't win against the force that is their younger sister. Soon Mrs. Gobble Gracker is ALL Dory is talking about. All of her play centers on this imaginary villain.

How far will she take it? You may or may not be surprised! This is one you're going to want to read for yourself.


© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Unknown said...

[ Smiles ] I would certainly enjoy reading that book, Becky.

Julie P. said...

I hadn't heard of this one but it sounds like I'm missing out! Great review!