Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Children of Jubilee

Children of Jubilee. (Children of Exile #3) Margaret Peterson Haddix. 320 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "Run! Hide!" my brother Enu screamed beside me.

Premise/plot: Children of Jubilee is the conclusion to a series first begun in Children of Exile and continued in Children of Refuge. Each book has its own narrator. The first book is told from the point of view of Rosi. The second book is told from the point of view of Edwy. The third book is told from the point of view of Kiandra. It is not a novel that can be read as a stand alone.

Who should read the Children of Exile series?
  • If you enjoy speculative fiction
  • If you enjoy action-packed adventure stories with ALIENS
  • If you enjoy mystery and suspense with your sci-fi
  • If you enjoy series books
  • If you have enjoyed other books by Margaret Peterson Haddix
My thoughts: I liked this series. I'm not sure I loved, loved, loved it. (But I'm not in the target audience either.) Part of me is curious--if I'd read all three books back-to-back or within a few weeks of each other, would I have been swept up into the world Haddix created? Would I have found the action so compelling that I couldn't have put it down? As it was it was almost like starting from scratch with this third novel as far as caring about the characters. For the record, I did end up caring about the characters, it just took a while.

There are so many novels I've loved by Margaret Peterson Haddix. A few series of hers that I love to reread because I love them so much. So I'm thinking that if I'd read these three all together that I might feel more of a connection.

Have you read this series? What did you think?


© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: