Saturday, January 26, 2019

Abridged Classics

Abridged Classics: Brief Summaries of Books You Were Supposed to Read But Probably Didn't. 2018. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Ulysses. James Joyce. Dublin, something, something, something, run-on sentence.
Moby Dick. Herman Melville. Man vs. whale. Whale wins.
War and Peace. Leo Tolstoy. Everyone is sad. It snows.

Premise/plot: What you see is what you get...for the most part. Each classic book featured has an illustration (sometimes two) and a few sentences. It's as concise as can be.

Peter Pan. J.M. Barrie. Some kids and a crocodile pester an amputee. 
Wuthering Heights. Emily Bronte. A sort-of brother and sister fall in love. It's foggy.
Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen. Two sisters catch husbands. And one catches a cold.
My thoughts: I read this one in one sitting. Anyone could. I read it with a cup of tea in hand. It was delightful--for the most part, both the tea and the book. I could write BOOKS about how they summarized the Bible wrong. But. I won't. (For those that are curious, the summary is "Be good or else.") I would recommend this one for anyone who enjoys a super-quick read. Especially if your library has it. (I don't know that I could ever justify buying it--at least to myself. It just took me about fifteen minutes to read.)



© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: