Saturday, January 05, 2019

Into the Jungle: Stories for Mowgli

Into the Jungle: Stories for Mowgli. Katherine Rundell. Illustrated by Kristjana S. Williams. 2018. 240 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Father Wolf wedged his human child between his paws and began to lick him clean.

Premise/plot: Mowgli's day is packed full of stories as he visits--romps, if you will--with his best jungle friends. Rundell provides entertaining origin stories for many of Kipling's original characters. There are five stories in all: "Before Mother Wolf Was a Mother, She Was a Fighter," "Bagheera's Cage," "Baloo's Courage," "Kaa's Dance," and "Mowgli."

The stories are not short. The shortest is a little over thirty pages, and the longest is over fifty.

Each story features beautiful illustrations.

The book cries out instant classic and not just because it's inspired by Rudyard Kipling's classic, Jungle Book. Rundell's storytelling is wonderful.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one very much. I'm tempted to even say that I loved, loved, loved it. It certainly went above and beyond my expectations. I found myself getting drawn into each story. My favorite story was always the one I was in at the moment. Perhaps with the slight exception of the last story. I read that story with some sadness--not because it was tragic--but because it was the last one.

I read this one in two days. Both days I enjoyed reading it while drinking tea. It was LOVELY and satisfying to cozy up with this one.

Original (intended) audience: Born circa 2008 to 2011.


© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: