Friday, October 16, 2009

A Match for Mary Bennet


Ward, Eucharista. OS.F. 2009. A Match for Mary Bennet. SourceBooks. 350 pages.

Prologue: One might say that using the divine gift of human memory for the recitation of three-month-old annoyances represents talent misspent. Mary Bennet thought, as she sat with her hand poised over the silver tea urn, that not even all four evangelists together had documented Jesus's public life as thoroughly as her mother insisted on recounting Mary's social life.

How do you feel about Mary Bennet? Do you think she's doomed to be an old maid? A stuffy old maid at that? Or do you think there's hope for such a bookish soul?

I really enjoyed Eucharista Ward's novel. She does a great job at fleshing out Mary's character. Of showing that there is much more going on than we've been led to believe. She does a good job with all the familiar characters really. Lydia. Kitty. Elizabeth. Jane. Georgiana. Mrs. Bennet. She also introduces readers to new characters, men like Mr. Stilton, Mr. Grantley, and Mr. Oliver. Which of these men (if any) will Mary choose to settle down with? Will it be a love match?

It's been several years since Jane won her Charles, and Elizabeth her Darcy. Is it Mary's turn for love?

What did I enjoy about this one? Mary. Yes, books matter to her. And music. And God. She takes her faith seriously. But she is a human character. She's not as stiff and unfeeling, as cold and closed-off as you might think. And I love seeing her side of things.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Anna said...

I totally agree with you. This was such a good book!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kate Coombs said...

I'll admit I always thought Mary and Mr. Collins would have done well together, but it's nice to encounter a better solution. (Besides, after having Mr. and Mrs. Collins fall prey to zombie-ness in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I just can't see it anymore.) Thanks for the recommendation!

Amy said...

Great review! I have to admit - I never thought much about Mary Bennett but this sounds really interesting.

Heather G. said...

I always wanted her to be with Collins...I'm sure she had a thing for him. So for her to find someone...I'll have to give this one a look! Thanks!