Saturday, June 18, 2016

Bleak House

Bleak House. Charles Dickens. 1852-1853. 912 pages.  [Source: Bought]

It has been almost six years since I first read Charles Dickens' Bleak House. Did I enjoy it more the second time? Yes, I think so. I really, really liked it the first time I read it. Though to be honest, there were a few times I almost gave up on it until I discovered a good adaptation of it. But the second time around, I really LOVED IT.

I think the 'romance' worked better for me the second time around because I knew who Esther would choose and I was prepared for it. When I first read the book, I was so under-impressed by the doctor that I forgot him once he went away to sea. I did not see him as the love of her life that she dared not hope return her love. This time I paid for attention and tried to see him through her eyes. I still really, really LOVE John Jarndyce (can I have him, please?!?!) but I've come to accept that she rightly belongs with the doctor.

I also came to a better appreciation for Inspector Bucket. I trusted him more and didn't see him as a villain. 

Read Bleak House
  • If you enjoy Charles Dickens
  • If you enjoy reading classics
  • If you enjoy reading LONG books
  • If you enjoy Victorian literature
  • If you enjoy classic mysteries, Inspector Bucket is one of the first fictional detectives
  • If you enjoy stories about law and inheritance
  • If you enjoy understated romance
  • If you enjoy guardianship stories
  • If you enjoy stories with angelic heroines
  • If you enjoyed watching the miniseries
Read my first review for the particulars of the plot

One sentence summary: Bleak House is about a long, often-thought-hopeless, law case that seems to doom all involved with it, perhaps with the exception of John Jardyce and his favorite ward, Esther Summerson.

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

I've seen the miniseries and enjoy it, but like you said, the book is loooooooong. So I've never picked it up. But it is on my list of to-reads someday. If I can survive Wuthering Heights then I should be able to survive Bleak House. :)

Joy Weese Moll said...

I read much of Dickens in high school but was too intimidated by the heft of Bleak House. I was so glad to finally read it a few years ago and got such a kick out of the humor.

Sue Jackson said...

Wow, another Bug Book, Becky? And this one was REALLY big! Impressive. I read a lot of Dickens in high school but have never even heard of this one - thanks for telling me about it!

Sue

2016 Big Book Summer Challenge

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is a Dickens' book that I have never heard of...so you know just how much I read his books!! I read a few in high school and that was the last, I do believe.
Thanks for this great review though as I am intrigued and plan to look for this book.