Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #26

Happy Sunday! This has been a week of me exploring books out of my comfort zone. I (accidentally) read and liked a western. Now, would most people consider it a western? I'm not sure. There are wagon trains, Indian attacks, horses, ranches, robbers and other outlaws. It is narrated by a woman, but she's a woman with gumption and spirit. Not afraid to use her gun. The other book I read was a mystery by Josephine Tey. The Man in the Queue. I don't know why I judged mysteries so harshly without ever having given one a proper read. And maybe all mysteries aren't as delightful as this one. (Tey is part of the Golden Age of British crime-writing, says my introduction.) But I am looking forward to reading more! Daughter of Time is next.

What I've Reviewed This Week:

Black Sheep. Georgette Heyer. 1966/2008. Sourcebooks. 280 pages.
These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine. By Nancy E. Turner. 1998. HarperCollins. 416 pages.
Armadale. Wilkie Collins. 1866. (My edition. Oxford World's Classics.) 880 pages.
Babymouse Burns Rubber #12. Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm. 2010. January 2010. Random House. 96 pages.
Babymouse Cupcake Tycoon (#13) Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm. 2010. September 2010. Random House. 96 pages.
Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter. R.J. Anderson. 2009. April 2009. HarperCollins. 336 pages.
Wayfarer by R.J. Anderson. 2010. June 2010. HarperCollins. 304 pages.
The Water Seeker. Kimberly Willis Holt. 2010. May 2010. Henry Holt. 320 pages.
Mockingbird. Kathryn Erskine. 2010. April 2010. Penguin. 224 pages.
Maid to Match. Deeanne Gist. 2010. June 2010. Bethany House. 368 pages.
What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert. Foreword by D.A. Carson. Crossway. 127 pages.
Simon's Crossing. Charles William Asher. Dennis Patrick Slattery. 2010. January 2010. iUniverse. 172 pages.
Daddy is a Cozy Hug. Rhonda Gowler Greene. Illustrated by Maggie Smith. 2010. May 2010. Walker & Company. 32 pages.
I Love My Dad. Anna Walker. 2010. April 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
Daddy Loves His Little Girl. John Carter Cash. Illustrated by Marc Burckhardt. 2010. May 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
My Father Knows The Names of Things. Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Stephane Jorisch. 2010. April 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
The Fathers Are Coming Home. Margaret Wise Brown. Illustrated by Stephen Savage. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
Daddy's Little Scout. Janet Bingham. Illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw. 2010. Scholastic. 32 pages.
Dogs Don't Do Ballet. Anna Kemp. Illustrated by Sara Ogilvie. 2010. June 2010. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.

Currently Reading:


Bath Tangle. Georgette Heyer. 1955. Harlequin. 336 pages.



A Crack in the Sky. Mark Peter Hughes. 2010. August 2010. Random House. 416 pages.

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:


A Rose for the Crown. Anne Easter Smith. 2006. Simon & Schuster. 672 pages.


Daughter of Time. Josephine Tey. Simon & Schuster. 208 pages.


The Curse of Chalion. Lois McMaster Bujold. 2002. HarperCollins. 512 pages.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Sara Lyn said...

If you enjoyed Tey's book, you would possibly enjoy:

1. And Only to Deceive - Tasha Alexander
2. The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte and Thomas Pitt #1) - Anne Perry
3. Pride and Prescience - Carrie Bebris
4. Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor - Stephanie Barron
5. Miss Marple stories by Agatha Christie

I'm not a huge mystery fan, but some other fun mysteries I enjoy are the Rex Stout Nero Wolff mysteries and the Joanne Fluke Hannah Swendsen mysteries starting with Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. (Excellent recipes!)

Anonymous said...

You read more books this week than I think I have read all month!

Brittanie said...

I have read Bath Tangle and it was an okay Heyer book. I look forward to seeing your review.