Friday, June 08, 2012

If you *had* to choose...

Partly inspired by the Victorian Celebration, partly inspired by my obsessive BBC viewing, I've got a "discussion question" for you. If you HAD to choose a husband from this list of suitors, who would you choose and why?!



Mr. Obadiah Slope (from Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope)

Louis Trevelyan (from He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope)


St. John Rivers (from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte)

Mr. William Guppy (from Bleak House by Charles Dickens)

Heathcliff (from Wuthering Heights by Emile Bronte)

Vicar Maybold (from Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy; I've only seen this one, not read it.)

Mr. Dombey (from Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens, this is my current read, by the way)

Bradley Headstone (from Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens)

Not pictured, but eligible all the same...

Adolphus Crosbie (from Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope); and don't I wish that they would have filmed ALL the Barchester series instead of just The Warden and Barchester Towers!!! We need to see an adaptation of Small House at Allington and Last Chronicle of Barset!!!

The Earl of Lovel (from Lady Anna by Anthony Trollope)




© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

CharmedLassie said...

As irritating a husband as he'd be, I'd have to go with Mr Guppy. His intentions would usually be good! And he goes out of his way to help when he's inclined to - and it helps him!

Roof Beam Reader said...

Oh, gosh.. not Heathcliff! Lol

I'm not familiar with most of these yet - I haven't read any Trollope (but I might be reading The Warden next, actually).. still, it'd be hard to pass on Alan Rickman!

Becky said...

Mr. Guppy was a fun character for me to meet. While I don't think he was "the one" for Esther, I didn't think he was a bad sort of guy at all.

Heathcliff, I must admit, would be near the bottom-bottom of the list for me.

Karen K. said...

I love Alan Rickman, but I'd run the other way if Obadiah Slope came calling on me! Wow, this is a tough list. Haven't read them all, but. . . I'd have to agree with CharmedLassie and go with Guppy. Though his mother is pretty awful, and I'd be stuck with her too!