Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Dangerous (2014)

Dangerous. Shannon Hale. 2014. Bloomsbury. 400 pages. [Source: Review Copy]

Dangerous was definitely an entertaining read. Hale has given YA readers a science fiction book with a super-hero twist. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the prologue. I didn't know what type of science fiction book to expect. Would it be like Hunger Games or The Testing? I suppose it could have gone that way based on the prologue. But what readers get is something very different: it is odd mostly in a good way, and more unique than you might at first expect.

Maisie Danger Brown is the heroine of Dangerous. She wins a contest to go to astronaut camp. The camp is where it all happens; what happens at camp, well, it changes not only Maisie's life, but her whole family's life, and her best friend's life, and that's just for starters.

Dangerous is very much one of those whole-world-in-danger-we-need-a-hero books.

I liked it mostly.

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Kailana said...

Oh, nice! A bit of a change for Hale. I am sure I will read this at some point!