Thursday, December 12, 2013

Better To Wish (2013)

Better To Wish. (Family Tree #1) Ann M. Martin. 2013. Scholastic. 240 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I definitely enjoyed reading Ann M. Martin's Better To Wish. I connected with Abby almost from the start. I thought Abby was a very grounded character, there was depth and substance to her. I enjoyed reading her memories, the short vignettes of the moments through the years that changed or defined her. 

Some chapters were quite ordinary: the small moments, the ones that you almost never appreciate until much later. Some chapters were focused on holidays (or birthdays): Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween, Fourth of July, etc.

Other chapters were quite dramatic, the moments where you know that life will NEVER be the same again no matter how hard you wish or how big you dream. I liked the focus on family, friendship, and community. Readers meet Abby exactly as she is in her closest relationships. Loved seeing Abby's relationship with her sisters, her mother, and her best friend. All the characters felt authentic, felt human. Martin has done a great job in bringing this time period to life. I would definitely recommend this one. I look forward to the others in the series!

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Kailana said...

I didn't know Anne M. Martin was even still writing. Nice!