Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Hats Off To You

Hats Off To You. Karen Beaumont. Illustrated by LeUyen Pham. 2017. Scholastic. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Emily, Ashley, Kaitlyn, Claire! What is going on up there?

Premise/plot: Readers first met Emily, Ashley, Kaitlyn, and Claire in Shoe-la-la! These four friends are back playing together and playing dress up in Hats Off To You. This time, the four are CRAZY about hats. This one, like Shoe-la-la! is written in rhyme.
Oo-la-la! This hat's tres chic. Mine was made in Mozambique. Funky hat to match my shoes. I like girly curlicues.
My thoughts: I really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE LeUyen Pham. I adore her illustrations. Karen Beaumont is more hit or miss with me. But this time I found her work DELIGHTFUL. True this is a very girly-girl book. Any book with a covered in glitter can fairly be called girly-girl in my opinion. But I like it all the same in spite of the glitter. I really like the WHY of this one. Very sweet! (The girls are planning a surprise mother-daughter tea party! And they're dressing up for it, of course.)

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10




© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: