Saturday, February 04, 2017

Fudge-a-mania

Fudge-a-mania. Judy Blume. 1990. 176 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "Guess what, Pete?" my brother, Fudge, said. "I'm getting married tomorrow."

Premise/plot: Fudge-a-mania is the fourth book in the Fudge series by Judy Blume. Though the series is named after Peter's brother, Fudge, the stories are told from Peter's perspective.

It is the summer before Peter (and Sheila's) seventh grade year. The two families will be vacationing in Maine together. Peter and Sheila (to refresh your memory) do not like each other. In fact, they practically HATE each other. Peter doesn't realize that "vacationing next door" to the Tubman family means essentially sharing a duplex. One week will be brightened by Peter's best friend, Jimmy, coming to stay--with his (uninvited) Dad. Readers get to know the Hatcher and Tubman families very, very well. Even the grandparents. This summer vacation is anything but dull.

My thoughts: I really liked this one. I'm not sure I loved, loved, loved it because to be honest, Fudge is not my favorite or best. But I did enjoy aspects of this one: the romance between the grandparents that will link the two families now; also "Tootsie" is a delight and I'm glad that Mr. Fargo will benefit quite a lot from his vacation!

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: