Thursday, February 02, 2017

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great. Judy Blume. 1972. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I'm glad there's only one more week of school before summer vacation.

Premise/plot: Sheila Tubman goes away with her family on an extended vacation. The Tubman family is renting a house, and, the house comes with a dog. Sheila is VERY afraid of dogs, and so is most unhappy. Sheila's one BIG weakness is not being able to admit her fears and limitations. She wants to be the best and to already know everything there is to know. Luckily, she makes a new friend that loves her as is, flaws and all. Her friend's name is Mouse.

My thoughts: It was okay. I liked it well enough. I didn't love, love, love it. I'm not really sure why it is part of the Fudge series though. That is the main reason I picked this one up. It's labeled as being the second in the series. And except for one page, Fudge and Peter are not even in it. I think Sheila had a bigger role in Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, than Peter did in Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great. I wanted MORE Peter and Fudge. Not more Sheila. That being said, if I had come to this expecting essentially a stand-alone book, I probably would have not been disappointed.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: