Friday, March 28, 2008

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow (MG/YA)



George, Jessica Day. 2008. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow. Bloomsbury.

Long ago and far away in the land of ice and snow, there came a time when it seemed that winter would never end.

Our heroine is the ninth child and the fourth daughter. Her mother was so angry when she was born that she refuses to bless her with a name. She's called "pika" which means girl. For most of the story, however, we know her as Lass. This child is a blessing--a great blessing--to her oldest brother, Hans Peter. The two are special buddies. He teaches her something that will prove very useful: the written language--the carvings--of the trolls.

Our story really begins when she agrees to go with the white bear. The white bear is isbjorn, enchanted, and he has agreed to give her family riches and riches and riches galore if she will go away with him to live in his castle for one full year. The family is so poor, that it would be unforgivable (at least in her mother's eyes) for her to refuse his request.

Her time with the bear will not be easy. Everything is so strange, so odd, so obviously enchanted and magical. She's accompanied by her wolf, Rollo. I seem to have forgotten to mention that she's able to communicate with animals. (Another long story on how she got her wolf, and how she got blessed with the power to understand and communicate with animals, and how she got a secret name.)

This review isn't going like I had planned. For a novel that was written so beautifully, so smoothly, this review isn't doing it justice. You're just going to have to trust me that the novel is worth reading. Our heroine is brave and strong and full of heart.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is a novelization of the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon. (At least in part. It's also similar to the myth of Cupid and Psyche and the tale of Beauty and the Beast.)

323

Another review: here, here, here, and here.
© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

8 comments:

Ana S. said...

East of the Sun, West of the Moon is my favourite fairy tale, so for that alone I'd want to read this book. But hearing how good it is makes me want to get it right now!

Corinne said...

You've convinced me. I'm putting it on my TBR list right now :) By the way, I love the East of the Sun etc. story as well. Have you read East by
Edith Pattou??

Carl V. Anderson said...

Not sure I've ever heard of that fairy tale, but I love the name of it and the name of this novel.

Karlene said...

I loved this book! It's one of my favorites.

Framed said...

It would be interesting to read this book and see if I like it as much as "East." Your review makes it sound well worth the time.

James said...

I so want to read it.

Pam @ bookalicio.us said...

I absolutely loved this book, her story telling is absolutely fantastic. Have you read her latest? Princess of the Midnight Ball, it's a retelling of the old Brother's Grim, 12 Dancing Princesses. Brilliant also, I reviewed that one a while back, but just got to reading Sun Moon Ice and Snow this week.

pryncessissodancerific said...

i love this book and east of the sun and west of the moon andd east lol i love to read im glad i found this blog