Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Introducing FIVE (yes, five!) new mini-challenges





I can't stress this enough. If you want to sign up please indicate which challenge(s) you want to join in your comment.

The rules for all the challenges are the same.

1) Read and/or watch TWO works by the author in question (Bronte, Dickens, Dumas, Gaskell, Twain)

For example:
Watching two movies
Reading two books
Reading one book; watching one movie

You can always read (or watch) more. But two is the minimum. I don't know that this has ever come up, but you CAN count abridged versions of the novels. You CAN also count audio books.

2) The challenge will run through November 15th, 2008. That gives us a full six months and a few extra weeks to read. I had considered going through December. However, I decided with the fall being what it is--Thanksgiving, birthday, Christmas, Librarians' Choices, and possibly (???) Cybils, that I would not be getting much read for challenges anyway. I figured that you'd be busy celebrating, planning, shopping, dealing with your own chaos and drama as well. So November 15th it is.

I'm going to be super-nice especially since it serves in my best interests. Any book you've read by any of these authors in the year 2008 can count towards your challenge. I've just read The Three Musketeers (this past weekend!) I'm so going to count that.

*Also re-reads are allowed if you like.
*So is overlapping with other challenges.

3) No blogs are required. No lists are required. You don't have to tell me which books for which authors you're going to read. But I would *appreciate* hearing from you which two books/movies you went with as your choices. I'd also *appreciate* some feedback. For example of how BRIEF that feedback can be you can write "3 musketeers; thumbs up" or "Jane Eyre, recommended" or "Great Expectations, boring" It can be really really really short and sweet. But I would like to know what you ended up with and if you liked it or loved it or hated it. If you do have a blog and want to write a review, go for it. If you give me the link, I will read what you have to say!

So (drumroll please) here are your five new choices for mini-challenge fun. Bronte Sisters Mini-Challenge, Charles Dickens Mini-Challenge, Alexandre Dumas Mini-Challenge, Elizabeth Gaskell Mini-Challenge, and the Mark Twain Mini-Challenge.

To sign up, leave a comment. Be sure to leave your name (or your online nickname is fine) and your blog address (but only if applicable). And please, please indicate which challenge(s) you want to join. "This sounds fun, I want to join!" is a great comment. But I won't have a clue which of the five it applies to unless you tell me.

UPDATE: THERE IS NOW A BLOG FOR ALL OF MY (BECKY'S) MINI-CHALLENGES. THERE ARE SEVEN FOR 2008 SO FAR. MORE WILL BE COMING FOR 2009. YOU MAY VISIT THAT SITE HERE. YOU MAY LEAVE LINKS TO YOUR REVIEWS ON SPECIAL POSTS THERE. (Each challenge has its own post.) YOU MAY SIGN UP AT EITHER SITE.

19 comments:

zetor said...

Sounds great . I'm in for the Bronte challenge.

Stephanie said...

Good Lord Becky!! You are KILLING me!! I keep thinking there can't be any challenge ideas left. Then you come up with more!

Grilsgood said...

I like this. SAfter reading Mark Twai's Joan of Arc I know I want to read another of his less known works.

Sarah Miller said...

You know, I think I'm up for this one. Count me in for Twain and the Bronte girls.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea for a challenge - a multi media event!

I'm here from Weekly Geeks, and you're on my list of new bloggers :)

Nice meeting you!

zetor said...

Can I 'steal' your Bronte badge for my blog please?

Becky said...

Yes, feel free to take the challenge banners and post them wherever you like :)

Samantha said...

I'm joining three of your challenges. I'm going fot the Bronte challenge, the Dickens challenge and the Dumas challnege. My book/movie list is here http://bookwormsandtea.blogspot.com/2008/05/three-min-challenges.html

Anonymous said...

I'm in for the Twain mini challenge

Whitney said...

I'm in for the Bronte challenge--I've just recently learned to appreciate their work. Great challenge Becky!

The Bookworm said...

great idea, count me in for the Charles Dickens Mini-Challenge

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Laxmi Karumbu said...

I'm in for the Bronte, Dickens, and Gaskell challenge. I am a new blogger at
http://onthespurofthemoment.blogspot.com/

Lena said...

Well I'm going to try to read at least too books by four of the authors: the Bronte Sisters, Dickens, Gaskell and Twain. I've been trying to read more of the "classics" and this should help achieve that goal. Thanks Becky!

Teddy Rose said...

I'm in for Gaskell. Perfect timig, as Masterpiece Theater is airing a mini-series on PBS based on three of her novels. It starts this Sunday night.

Marg said...

I'm in for Gaskell as well.

Kitty said...

Great challenges Becky! I'm in for the Bronte Challenge and for the Elizabeth Gaskell challenge.

Susan L.

Tyto Alba said...

Hooray! I'm signing up for the Bronte sisters and Dickens.

http://inkmagic.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Count me in for Charles Dickens and Mark Twain. I belong to the Imitiable Boz/Charles Dickes group at Yahoo! and I finished reading this month Joan of Arc and am currently reading A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. Judy

Becky said...

Judy, I have added your name to the list of participants for Inklings, Dickens, and Twain. Those lists and update posts can be found on this site.

http://minichallenges.blogspot.com/