Monday, April 07, 2008

Meme: Blog Retrospective


I saw this on A Year of Reading and thought it looked like fun. If you want to play, you go back through your archives and find five posts (on your own blog of course) you really love. Here's mine (in no particular order):


To Blog or Not To Blog. I loved this one because it was a very passionate/inspired post. It also got me noticed. I had almost zero link-love until this one came along. Almost overnight my blog went from 1-2 readers (that I knew about at least) to an actual audience. It was such a novel thing for me at the time. The concept that I could write something that people would actually read and respond to. It made me rethink my blog and prioritize it. The follow-up post was Becky's 5 W's. It is my mission statement of sorts. Both posts are still mostly true (by the way), but would need to be updated slightly to be completely accurate. I now receive review copies, and that has now become my primary source for review material. 

Top Ten Books You Cannot Live Without. This post is my very first meme that I ever participated in. I've since become addicted as regular readers know :) My top ten books--the subject of this meme--might have changed since its original posting. I've read some GREAT books since then.

Ender's Game. I chose this post because it is my review of my favorite book. It is all gushy and chatty. But it shows the real me. You cannot spend much time with me and NOT know that I love Orson Scott Card. Another good choice would be How I Came To Love A Monster. Another of my lengthy reviews. Although I consider it to be just showcasing my passion and enthusiasm.

Tips on Challenges. This one hasn't been particularly popular, but I like it just the same. It is my advice on how to successfully manage reading challenges.

Interview with Susan Beth Pfeffer. I'm such a huge fan. This was a dream-come-true for me. I love doing interviews with authors. (I'm out at the moment, though I should have one coming in shortly.) Hopefully, more interviews will be coming soon. I just have to start reading books by authors that are alive and well and have email addresses that I can find. Fanny Burney and Jane Austen aren't going to be dropping by any time soon that's for sure. 





2 comments:

Mary Lee 9:10 AM  

I'm glad you decided to play! After school, I'll come back and browse through your favorites, and also link to you from our post! Fun, fun!!!

Jeane 10:56 AM  

I like the idea of your retrospective! I'm going to go back and read your post on Ender's Game when I've got an extra moment.

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP