Friday, August 29, 2008

Poetry Friday: Borrowing from the Rat

Yesterday, I reviewed Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat by Lynne Jonell. One of the characters, Rat, is fond of singing, and he's got two moments to "shine" as a singing star in the novel. I'll only be sharing one of them, however.

(A rat's take on America the Beautiful)

Oh, pitiful, the pellets dry
And the wood shavings damp
Rats running round in metal wheels
Until their hind legs cramp...
But captive rats can boldly dream
Till prisoned rats are free
Till, as they should, in rodenthood
They squeak in liberty!

Oh, beautiful, for freedom sweet
For cages open wide,
For furry rodents' scampering feet
Throughout the countryside...
Oh rodent cities, rodent fields
Oh rodent country grand
May noble rodents ever fill
This happy, ratty land!

Found on p. 344 of the ARC of Emmy And the Incredible Shrinking Rat.

Roundup is at Charlotte's Library.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Yat-Yee said...

I love that book, although I almost didn't get past the first chapter. I was feeling too sad because of Emmy's predicament. I'm glad I finished it. My daughter loves it too.

Ron Southern said...

If all pest control everywhere were to cease, you would have the picture correct, there would be rats and mice Everywhere! Some would eat eac other, some would eat you!

For some reason the Google Alerts does not limit itself to telling me when "The Rat Squeaks" publishes, but a random assortment of every blog that may say "rat". Not the same blogs every time. I don't understand what I'm being alerted about. But if the rats don't eat me, I'll survive.

Unknown said...

As you know, you are my favorite book blog! Stop by and pick up an award I have for you! Happy long weekend!

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I saw Lynne Jonell a couple of weeks ago and she mentioned that the pub date of the sequel has been pushed back a bit. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing this fun parody!