Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The City of Ember

The City of Ember. Jeanne DuPrau. 2003. 270 pages. [Source: Library]

I really love reading and rereading The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. It was one of the first dystopian novels that I ever read. The other "early" dystopian novel being The Giver. While I've probably read The Giver a good half-dozen times or so, The City of Ember is one I've read only a few times.

It opens with a prologue of sorts, a discussion of "the Instructions." The Builders create a box that will open when the time is right--about 220 years--and reveal a set of instructions for the mayor to help lead the people of Ember out of the darkness and into the light. That was the plan. That wasn't what actually happened, however, one mayor having failed to tell his successor of the box before he died. The box was "lost" seemingly forever. The instructions to remain a secret....

First sentence: In the city of Ember, the sky was always dark.

There is a heroine and a hero in this children's book. Doon is recently assigned to the pipeworks. Lina is recently assigned to be a Messenger. They're young--twelve or thirteen--and their future seems uncertain. Readers get to spend time with Lina and her family (a grandmother whose memory and health is failing, a baby sister) and Doon and his family (a father who is very supportive and encouraging to his son). Readers also get to meet a handful of other residents in the town. One such resident being the mayor (boo, hiss).

The premise of this one is fantastic. For over two hundred years generations have lived underground in the city of Ember not knowing that there was a world above, not even knowing they were underground. All of their resources are limited, severely limited. And the city of Ember, is, in fact "dying" because things are wearing down and running out. The people remain unaware despite the frequency of blackouts and shortages at stores. (Would canned goods *really* last over two hundred years? Would light bulbs and batteries really have that long a shelf life? I'm not sure I want to over-think it.)

At the heart of this one is the mystery. The instructions come to 'the light of day' so to speak tattered and chewed. Lina, Doon, and a few trusted adults piece together letters into words, words into sentences, sentences into ideas.

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comments:

Kailana 10:35 PM  

I keep meaning to read this and just have not got to it. Thanks for the reminder!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP