Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Louise Loves Art

Louise Loves Art. Kelly Light. 2014. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I love art! It's my imagination on the outside. So little time, so much to draw.

Premise/plot: Readers meet Louise, a little girl, who LOVES art. Actually, she loves art and Art. One day Louise creates a masterpiece. But. Before she can properly hang it in the gallery (on the refrigerator), her little brother Art gets a hold of it...with a pair of scissors. What will happen next?!?!

My thoughts: I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. I love Louise. I love Art. I love how their characterization comes through both in the text and in the art. I even love their cat. Her masterpiece is a drawing of their cat, and she finally captured his cat-ness. The use of language is wonderful. For example, "I've done it. So fierce! So feline! So fantastic...a masterpiece." I love the little details too. (For example, the "Herman Hermit" Louise passes on her way to the kitchen. The way Art is watching her create at the beginning, and actually drawing alongside her at the end. The use of color). And I love the double meaning of the title. It was very clever to name the little brother, Art!!!

Watch the Emily Arrow video. (I love the doll! Oh, how I wished I had one!!)

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: