Tuesday, May 24, 2016

30 Days of Books: Day 2

I saw this at The Written World--a blog I've been following for most of the time I've been blogging--and I thought I'd join in the fun. I believe the most recent recurrence of this is from Jenni Elyse's blog.

Today's prompt: A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

(Those that *know* me know absolutely that I am a BIG, BIG, BIG rereader).

I could go with Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Or. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Or practically anything by Jane Austen. Speaking of Jane, there's always Jane Eyre. And then there is almost anything by L.M. Montgomery. But. Instead I'm going with a chunkster that I've read three times. I am really hoping to read it again this year: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

What keeps me coming back to Les Miserables? I love, love, love the bigness of it.
This book is a drama, whose leading personage is the Infinite. Man is the second.
The book has depth. The story it tells is memorable and emotional. It is a book you EXPERIENCE. I love so many things about it: the depth and quality of the writing, the characterization, the narration, the themes.

There are many words that could be used to describe Les Miserables: compelling, political, spiritual, philosophical, dramatic, romantic. It is just as concerned about politics and social justice as it is romance and family. It touches on the subjects of education, crime, poverty, and injustice. It's a novel where ideas matter just as much as characters.

It's also a novel heavy on details. When it's good, it's REALLY good. But at times some of the details are too taste-specific. In other words, some of the details weigh the story down. At times Les Miserables is boring. It's worth reading. It is. It's worth pushing through to the end. It's okay to skim certain sections, in my opinion, because it is one of the most satisfying reading experiences overall. Not that I LOVE the ending, though I think I may have made peace with it this time around.

Who are some of the characters? Bishop Myriel, Jean Valjean, Fantine, Inspector Javert, Cosette, Marius, Eponine, Enjolras, Monsieur and Madame Thenardier, Mabeuf, Monsieur Gillenormand, and Gavroche--just to name a few.  I don't know if I can say I have a favorite. I know which characters I don't like. But I really just like all of them--no matter their strengths and weaknesses.

Do you have a favorite character? a favorite scene?


© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Kailana said...

I wish was as good a rereader as you are! I have done better this year, but there just never seems to be enough time to get to everything.