Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Dot

The Dot. Peter H. Reynolds. 2003. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair. Her paper was empty.

Premise/plot: Vashti tells the art teacher, "I can't draw." Her teacher offers a suggestion--simple and pure--"Just make a mark and see where it takes you." So she makes a dot, a single dot. How far will that dot take her?!

My thoughts: I really, really love this one. I do. It is a fine story made great by the ending. I love how Vashti is able to both inspire and encourage another frustrated kid. When she hears, 'I can't draw,' she knows just what to say... I love how the book shows how a simple thing like a change in perspective can change everything. The book also, of course, celebrates expression and creativity.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: