Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Skeleton Creek


Carman, Patrick. 2009. Skeleton Creek. Scholastic. 185 pages.

I'll be honest. I don't do scary. Not really. If I did, I'm sure my reaction to Skeleton Creek would be more enthusiastic. But I don't need to love a book in order to blog about it! After all, I can recognize a good story when I see it, even if that story isn't for me. Skeleton Creek could probably be described as a deliciously creepy mystery about two teenagers--one boy, Ryan, one girl, Sarah--living in a mysterious town, Skeleton Creek, a town that has seen better days, brighter days. The town is becoming more and more abandoned. Sarah, the more curious of the pair, wants to find out why the town is so weird. Why is the town named Skeleton Creek? Why does the librarian have a shot gun? What is up with some of the adults in town? They're not making this up, right? Things are heading towards the Twilight Zone, aren't they? The book is very atmospheric. The videos help with creating and establishing this. And I think for people who love exciting adventures, who love the thrill of a fast-paced dangerous life-and-death-on-the-line adventure...this one will be right for you.

Ryan's story is told in the book. This "journal" that he is keeping. You've just got to supend your disbelief on this one. It's written in many places in the present tense. And no one--as far as I can tell--would really and truly be writing stuff down as it happens. Especially since there are some intense things going on. Would there really be people who'd write about danger right then and there instead of getting out of there and then writing it down? Anyway, if nothing else the tense keeps you right there in the midst of the action.

Sarah's story is told through a series of videos. Sarah is all about her camera.

Both Sarah and Ryan love to break rules. And they're both a bit reckless. So both are prone to rushing into danger with very little thought or preparation.

Personally, as an adult who is not into scary, I just see both as being incredibly stupid. Asking for it stupid. That's just me. I'm unadventurous.

Other reviews: A Patchwork of Books, Book Nut, Maw Books. Reading Rumpus.

Have you heard of this one? Read it? Reviewed it? If you have and you'd like me to include your link just leave a comment letting me know.



© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Cheryl Vanatti said...

Hi Becky,

I also reviewed this book here: Reading Rumpus. I see it as having great potential for reluctant readers.