Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #7

Happy Sunday! Did you have a good week? Did you read any good books? Anything you'd think I'd be interested in? Always feel free to leave me book recommendations! I love hearing from readers. I love hearing feedback. I would love to hear from you if you've read a book based on my recommendation/review. If you loved it, liked it, hated it. I've started a new poll in the sidebar. I've found I like to have a poll going there.

Jazz Week. There are two days remaining in my theme-inspired week. Today and tomorrow. I've got two picture book biographies I'll be reviewing tomorrow for nonfiction monday. And either today or tomorrow--depending on multiple factors--I'll get a review up of Hand, Hand, Fingers Thumb by Al Perkins. Tomorrow afternoon/evening I'll do a round-up post with all those links. I hope you will give it a look at some point in time. Maybe you'll be called upon at some point to do a storytelling event, and this list will come in handy!

I'd have loved to open this event up to others, but felt a bit rushed to do so. Would a day or two really have been enough notice for you to get involved? Would there have been any interest to participate? But I will ask YOU this...do YOU have any special jazzy books--picture books especially--that you just love? Have I missed your favorite? Do you have a book that would fit in with this grouping? Tell me about it!

I'd also love to hear ideas/feedback about future thematic weeks/celebrations. Is this something you'd like in on? Did you find the posts interesting? Or were you wishing I'd get over it already??! I really do want to know what you think.

Giveaway Contest. You've still got about sixteen or so hours to sign up for this one. I'll draw a winner sometime tomorrow morning. Probably around 10AM or so. Depending on when I wake up and start going about my bloggy business. I'll email the winner first. Then I'll post the winner in a post. I like to do both. Because giveaways where they leave it up to you to go back and see if you won...just irritate me.

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Winnie's War by Jenny Moss. 2009. Walker Books. (YA Historical Fiction)
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George. 2009. Bloomsbury (YA Fantasy/YA Romance) 276 pages.
The Dangerous Days of Daniel X. Patterson, James. 2008. Little, Brown. 238 pages (YA Science Fiction/YA Adventure)
Duke Ellington His Life In Jazz by Stephanie Stein Grease. Chicago Review Press. 148 pages. (Nonfiction/YA Nonfiction)2009.
The Convenient Groom by Denise Hunter. 2008. Thomas Nelson. 314 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen. By Sybil G. Brinton. 1914/2008. Sourcebooks. 377 pages. (Literary Variation/Adult)
Jazz by Walter Dean Myers. 2006. (Poetry)
The Louis Armstrong You Never Knew by James Lincoln Collier. Scholastic. 2004. 80 pages. (J Biography)
A Mighty Fine Time Machine by Suzanne Bloom. 2009. (March 2009). Boyds Mills Press. (Picture Book)
Lovey and Dovey by Ellevan Lieshout and Erik van Os. 2009. Boyds Mills Press. (Picture Book)
Wee Little Lamb by Lauren Thompson. 2009. Simon & Schuster. (Picture Book)
He's Got The Whole World In His Hands. Illustrated by Kadir Nelson. 2005. Dial Books. (Picture Book)
Rent Party Jazz by William Miller. 2001. Lee & Low Books. (Picture Book)
Punk Farm by Jarrett J. Krosoczka. 2005. Knopf (Picture Book)
Mama Don't Allow by Thacher Hurd. 1984. HarperCollins (Picture Book)
Punk Farm On Tour by Jarret J. Krosoczka. 2007. Knopf (Picture Book)
Ella's Big Chance by Shirley Hughes. 2003. (Picture Book)
Duke Ellington by Andrea Pinkney. 1998. (Picture Book Biography)
Ella Fitzgerald by Andrea Pinkney. 2002. (Picture Book Biography)

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman. 2009. 185 pages. Scholastic.
The Year the Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice. 2009. 273 pages. HarperCollins.
Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba by Margarita Engle. 2009. Henry Holt. 198 pages.
Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One. By Sharon Lathan. Sourcebooks. 309 pages.

What I've read and really really need to review:

Mothstorm by Philip Reeve. 2008. Bloomsbury. 387 pages. (YA Science Fiction/YA Adventure)

What I'm currently reading:

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Dune by Frank Herbert
Heart Of A Lion by Gilbert Morris
Christianity in Crisis: 21rst Century by Hank Hanegraaff
Pemberley Shades by D.A. Bonavia-Hunt
Chocolat by Joanne Harris
The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King
Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

As you can CLEARLY see, I've got an insane number of books that I'm reading concurrently. Is it any wonder that I don't feel productive??? That I feel I can't get ahead? I don't want to give up on any of them. Not really. But I can't read in all of them every day. So I don't know exactly what takes priority.

That and I realized that I've only got a few more weeks before the 1% challenge ends...and I've got two books to read for it. I don't think Don Quixote can be finished in two weeks. So that means adding more books to the currently reading, doesn't it??? Oh well. Breathe. Breathe.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you do it??? I don't think I've ever seen anyone who reads as many books as you do. And then still have time to write reviews.

WOW!

Ana S. said...

I did! I read East which I got because of your review and I absolutely loved it. So thank you, Becky :)

I must confess that I know next to nothing about jazz. But I've been enjoying your posts.

Annette said...

I know exactly how you feel, I never feel like I am getting caught up in reading, blogging, I always feel behind.
Have you read the book Demon by Tosca Lee? I am reading this book now, it is really mind blowing, different, unforgettable.

Anonymous said...

I'm noticing a Jane Austen-sequel-trend - is this for something particular, or is it just because you feel like it just now?

Once - many years ago - I started reading four books at once; the idea was that I'd read one chapter each, but it didn't really work, sooner or later one book became more interesting than the others and I'd be reading only that. (Now I have a very complicated reading order which I shan't bore you with!) L.

Becky said...

As to why now...I've received a handful of review copies from Sourcebooks and I need to get to reviewing them!

Anonymous said...

Well, that explains it - hope you're still enjoying it, though. :) L.

Kerrie said...

How do you read so many books Becky!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

That certainly is a lot of books to be reading at the same time. I think a lot of people are panicking about the end of the 1% well-read challenge. There are quite a lot of short stories on the list, that's always an option. But it'd be one more thing to read!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to how you liked Skeleton Creek. I can't wait for your review. I also read The Swallows Came Early one. I bet we are on the same tour for that one.