Friday, February 13, 2009

Ella's Big Chance


Hughes, Shirley. 2003. Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz Age Cinderella.

Ella's Big Chance doesn't have much to do with jazz itself--though the illustrations clearly show the styles to be from the jazz age of fashion--but it does have everything to do with Cinderella. And with Valentine's Day less than twenty-four hours away, it is appropriate to review it now. There were things that I enjoyed about Ella's Big Chance. Things that disappointed me. And things that surprised me. I mean really surprised me about the book, the story. Things I'd not seen done with the story...ever. So it was refreshing in a way. I loved the clothes, the fashion. Ella works as a seamstress; making clothes is how she slaves away her time. And for the most part, she doesn't have the fun-and-glory of wearing the aforementioned garments. Her life is drab...except for one person, one friend in particular...a character named Buttons. You'll have to read this one for yourself to see if it's your style or if you prefer a more traditional take on Cinderella.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: