Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Peter and the Sword of Mercy (MG)


Peter and the Sword of Mercy. Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. 2009. Hyperion. 528 pages.

From the prologue: Charlemagne, Conqueror of Europe, knelt before the stone altar. He was seventy, but with his reddish beard and full head of hair, he looked much younger.
From the second prologue: Queen Victoria lay dying.
From chapter one: James Smith, surrounded by a throng of home-bound commuters, climbed the steep stairs leading out of the South Kensington Underground station.

This is the fourth novel in the series. The first three are: Peter and the Starcatchers, Peter and the Shadow Thieves, and Peter and the Secret of Rundoon. This fourth book is set twenty years after Peter and the Secret of Rundoon. This one bridges the gap between these newer books and the original book Peter Pan. Wendy, Molly's daughter, is one of the main characters.

So what is it about? Lord Ombra is back. Again. This time he is possessing the body of one of the Prince's advisors, Baron von Schatten. And he's working with some cruel people. And he has a plan. A BIG plan that is very bad news for the few remaining Starcatchers (and their allies, like the four "lost boys" who returned to England). Of course, if he succeeds it's bad news for everyone. Once Molly has been kidnapped, it is up to Wendy to find her way to Peter and find a way to save the world.

I liked this one. I didn't love it. I think I am just tired of this villain. It had action and adventure. It was a good fantasy, with fairies and mermaids. But it didn't thrill me. Perhaps if I'd read it closer to the others, then I'd be more enthusiastic. But. Every book doesn't have to be thrilling.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Julie P said...

I think the first one in this series is on my TBR shelf. Great review!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I read the first in this series and enjoyed it, but haven't felt the need to read the rest. I may have to try the next book.