Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #29


Happy Sunday! It has been a week of reading coincidences for me. I've 'accidentally' read two books on Burma. One contemporary. One historical fiction. I'll be reviewing both Bamboo People by Mitali Perkins and Elephant Run by Roland Smith next week. The second coincidence features characters with the same name. I'm reading Dark Life by Kat Falls. And I just finished Stolen by Lucy Christopher. Both YA books feature main characters named Gemma and Ty. Of course, these characters--and books--are VERY different from one another! So even though they have a few names in common, there is no confusion as to which is which!

Have you read any great books lately? I'm talking about books that left you wanting to recommend them to everybody?! I'm still super-excited about Kate Milford's The Boneshaker. I absolutely loved, loved, loved that book. And I want EVERYONE to consider reading it. I know that no one book is right for every reader. But still. I want this one to be read and enjoyed by as many people as possible. If you can't stop gushing about a particular book, I'd love it if you'd share it in the comments. I'm always looking for book recommendations!

What I've Reviewed This Week:

A Long Walk to Water. Linda Sue Park. 2010. November 2010. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 128 pages.
The Boneshaker. Kate Milford. 2010. May 2010. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 372 pages.
Jumpstart the World. Catherine Ryan Hyde. 2010. October 2010. Random House. 192 pages.
Hunger. Jackie Morse Kessler. 2010. October 2010. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 180 pages.
In a Heartbeat. Loretta Ellsworth. 2010. February 2010. Walker & Company. 216 pages.
Only The Good Spy Young. Ally Carter. 2010. Hyperion. 272 pages.
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. Morgan Matson. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 343 pages.
Mr. Cavendish, I Presume. Julia Quinn. 2008. HarperCollins. 384 pages.
An Apology for the Life of Mrs. Shamela Andrews. (Shamela) Henry Fielding. 1741. 40 pages.
Uncommon Reader. Alan Bennett. 2007. FSG. 128 pages.
Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman. 1997. HarperCollins. 80 pages.
The Sister Wife. Diane Noble. 2010. HarperCollins. 343 pages.
The Church History ABCs: Augustine and Twenty-Five Other Heroes of the Faith. Stephen J. Nichols. Illustrated by Ned Bustard. 2010. June 2010. Crossway. 32 pages.
Jake. Audrey Couloumbis. 2010. September 2010. Random House. 176 pages.
Mo and Jo Fighting Together Forever. Dean Haspiel and Jay Lynch. 2008. Toon Books. 40 pages.
Stinky. Eleanor Davis. 2008. Toon Books 40 pages.
The Black Circle (The 39 Clues #5) Patrick Carman. 2009. Scholastic. 176 pages.
The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out (Big Time) by Troy Cummings. 2010. May 2010. Random House. 40 pages.
Beaver is Lost. Elisha Cooper. 2010. June 2010. Random House. 40 pages.
Hello Baby! Mem Fox. Illustrated by Steve Jenkins. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.
Kiss! Kiss! Yuck! Yuck! by Kyle Mewburn. Illustrated by Ali Teo & John O'Reilly. 2008. Peachtree. 32 pages.
My Love Will Be With You. Laura Krauss Melmed. Illustrated by Henri Sorensen. 2009. HarperCollins. 24 pages.
Please Pick Me Up, Mama! Robin Luebs. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 40 pages.

Currently Reading:

Dark Life. Kat Falls. 2010. Scholastic. 304 pages.

Courting Morrow Little by Laura Frantz. 2010. Revell. 368 pages.

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:



Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus. R.L. LaFevers. 2010. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 375 pages.


Julia Gillian (And the Quest for Joy). Alison McGhee. 2009. Scholastic. 320 pages.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Brittanie said...

I read Latte Daze by Erynn Mangum this weekend and loved it. Have you read any of her books? She writes Christian Chick Lit and it is so funny. :)

Julie P said...

Well, looks like you had another wonderful week, Becky! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Becky, I've been trying to send you a mail, but it isn't succeeding - I've tried twice now, but keep getting a message that says that it can't be delivered due to "this adress has permanent fatal errors". Is there anything the matter with your mail? Anyway, trying again. L.

Chris said...

Hi Becky. I have been reading your blog for about a month now and have gotten some great reading ideas from you. I have just finished Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann and it blew me away! It brings you back to your teen years and you can relate to the various love interests involved. This is probably the best book I have read in years, sadly I am pretty bad at describing a book. I just wanted to chime in with this and to say hi and thanks for writing such a great blog :)