Thursday, July 15, 2010

Only the Good Spy Young (YA)


Only The Good Spy Young. Ally Carter. 2010. Hyperion. 272 pages.

"Targets acquired, ten o'clock."

Only The Good Spy Young is the fourth Gallagher Girl novel by Ally Carter. The first three are I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You, Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy, and Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover.

In Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover, Cammie learned that she is the target. That she is the one the bad guys are after. Why do they want her? She still doesn't know exactly. Though it seems it could have something to do with her father. So much about him remains a mystery to her.

Only the Good Spy Young begins with a London vacation over Christmas break. This time she's visiting another friend, "Bex" (Rebecca Baxter). And once again, Cammie's vacation doesn't go quite like planned. It seems the bad guys don't want Cammie to relax. In London, she gets a surprise...

What she learns in London changes things back at Gallagher Academy. Can Cammie solve the mystery? Can she stay safe?

I do like the series. I like the writing. I like the characters. I like how there is action and mystery, but there is also humor and romance.
It only took three weeks.
I know that sounds like a lot of time--and it is. But also it isn't. Because...well...in the clandestine services, nothing ever happens quickly (except when it does). Nothing is ever, ever easy (except when it is). And, most of all, nothing ever goes perfectly according to plan (except in the movies).
It's dirty work that is almost universally slow, tedious, repetitious, mundane, morose, and just in general boring (except for the parts when people might die).
We could have done it sooner and it still wouldn't have felt soon enough. We could have planned for years and we still wouldn't have felt ready. So, yeah. It took three weeks. (161)
Other reviews: Book Crumbs, Sassy Monkey Reads, Sarah's Random Musings.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I luv the series I couldnt stop reading the book it was so amazing! :) I also have a life like cammie because my parents work in the FBI so I know the pressure she is talking about.