Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Uncommon Reader


Uncommon Reader. Alan Bennett. 2007. FSG. 128 pages.

At Windsor it was the evening of the state banquet and as the president of France took his place beside Her Majesty, the royal family formed up behind and the procession slowly moved off and through into the Waterloo Chamber.

What if the Queen of England became an avid reader? What if she almost always had a book in her hand? What if she were to start asking those around them what they were reading, if they'd read anything good lately? What if those around her hated the new 'passion' of the Queen? How divisive is reading anyway?

I liked this one. I did. It was a quick read. I think if you like reading then you may enjoy this one. Because it is all about the power of reading.

You don't put your life into your books. You find it there. (101)

'Books are wonderful, aren't they?' she said to the vice-chancellor, who concurred.
'At the risk of sounding like a piece of steak,' she said, 'they tenderize one.' (105)


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Anna said...

I loved it, too. A must-read for book lovers.

fourth Musketeer said...

I also thought this was very fun. I discovered it right after doing a big paper for library school about bookmobiles!

chrisa511 said...

I just loved this one :) I think it may be time for a reread of it...it's such a short one, it's one of those that you can go back to for a quick read again and again. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sandra said...

I knew you'd enjoy it, I certainly did. But then what book lover doesn't get an extra kick out of a book about books, or bookmobiles?

Emilie said...

I haven't heard of this--must check it out! Thanks!
Emilie
http://dulyquoted.wordpress.com

Serena said...

I adored this book -- a book recommendation from Dewey that I took to heart.

Marg said...

It's always fun to read a book that validates the love of reading!