Friday, July 23, 2010

Stolen (YA)


Stolen. Lucy Christopher. 2010. Scholastic. 304 pages.

You saw me before I saw you.

Not many novels are written in the second person. I think it can be a bit tricky. But in the case of Stolen, I think it works. The novel is a letter. Gemma, our heroine, is writing a letter to the man, Ty, who kidnapped her and held her captive in a remote part of Australia. The novel begins with the kidnapping. Begins with how he was able to get her alone--alone enough to slip something into her drink without anyone noticing. Gemma was at the airport with her parents. She went to get a cup of coffee. Her parents went on to the gate, sure that their sixteen year old daughter would follow a few minutes later. But Ty had different plans for Gemma. Plans that would keep her his forever.

Stolen is a compelling read--very intense. It's also complex. There are only two characters, but both are developed well. Both are flawed. Of course, you could argue Ty is much more flawed than Gemma! It's a strange book--there are a few scenes that are just so very, very strange.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Alessandra said...

I've had this book on my radar for some time. I guess I'll have to hunt down a copy and read it, as well as Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott.

Michele said...

I read this a couple months back and loved the synopsis on the back. Wasn't so thrilled with the actual book....I didn't finish it. :(

Allison said...

I'm very intrigued by this, I'm on hold for it at the library.