Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Top Ten Picks: Favorite Books of All Time


The topic this week at Random Ramblings is Favorite Books of All Time. It is extremely difficult for me to even think about creating a top ten. But. I shall try.

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer.
Lisa is pregnant.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get."
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.
Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board.
Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck
When war came to Monterey and to Cannery Row everybody fought it more or less, in one way or another.
Book Thief by Markus Zusak
First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try.
Venetia by Georgette Heyer
"A fox got in amongst the hens last night, and ravished our best layer," remarked Miss Lanyon.
The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness
"Your noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt."
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet, well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Great books! I loved The Ask and the Answers. I still have to read The Book Thief, though! And I own Gone with the Wind, but its size scares me away.

gautami tripathy said...

Good ones! I had a difficult time choosing only ten!

Hannah Stoneham said...

This is an interesting selection - I *love* Anne of Green Gables!

fredamans said...

Great books indeed, though a few I still need to read! Anne of Green Gables is high on my list too! And Gone With the Wind is my favorite old time movie... though sadly I have not read the book.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i loved life as we knew it, such an amazing book, you can see my review here if you wish :)

http://blueicegal-ihaveadream.blogspot.com/2010/07/book-review-last-survivors-series-book.html

Amanda said...

Their Eyes Were Watching God is a wonderful book! Great pick.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Great list! Ender's Game, Anne, Book Thief, Gone with the Wind, so many wonderful books!