Monday, August 25, 2008

My Lady of Cleves


Barnes, Margaret Campbell. 1946. (Reprinted in 2008) My Lady of Cleves.

My Lady of Cleves is a "novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves." One of the luckier wives if you ask my opinion. What can I say? If you're interested in Henry VIII and his wives and his children and the politics of the day, then this may be of interest to you. It's a straightforward account told mainly from Anne's perspective with hints of Henry's as well. I honestly don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction. It portrays an Anne in love with her painter, Hans Holbein, and he with her. Though there love was never consummated.

I found it interesting that it is a reprint of a novel first published in the 1940s. Perhaps that accounts for some of the 'mistakes' about the Tudors. Maybe. There were a few details that didn't line up with what I've read in other accounts--both fiction and nonfiction when it comes to his wives and children.

As Anne is portrayed in this novel, she is a lovely soul. A gem of a woman. Compassionate. Sympathetic. Forgiving. Full of grace. Intelligent. Really extraordinary. I enjoyed this novel.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Lezlie said...

I liked this noved also. I don't remember a reference to Catherine of Aragon being beheaded. Do you remember where it was in the book? Just curious to look it up in my copy. I can't believe I missed that! :-)

Lezlie

Becky said...

Blame it on late night reading and the use of pronouns. They transitioned to Anne without saying so directly. Oops. I've corrected the post now.

Lezlie said...

I totally understand. When I have to read the same paragraph three times and I'm still not sure what I read, it's time to turn out the light no matter how many reviews I need to get done! :-)

Have a great week, Becky!
Lezlie