Thursday, August 14, 2008

Stop in the Name of Pants!


Rennison, Louise. 2008. Stop in the Name of Pants!

Stop in the Name of Pants! is the ninth book in the Georgia Nicolson series written by Louise Rennison. The first is titled Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging. And in case you haven't read it, you really should. It's hilarious. In that book, we meet boy-crazy British teen, Georgia Nicolson and a few of her friends and enemies. Also her cat, Angus. We learn about the snogging scale (and for those not in the know that essentially means a kissing scale). The series continue on with On The Bright Side, I'm Now The Girlfriend of a Sex God, Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas, Dancing in My Nuddy Pants, Away Laughing On a Fast Camel, Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers, Startled by His Furry Shorts, and Love Is A Many Trousered Thing.

In all the books, an angsty-and-quite-whiny Georgia goes on and on and on about boys. Her crushes. Her boyfriends. Her exes. Her close encounters. Of the official sort, there's Robbie, the one and only sex god of book one and two, and Masimo, her dreamy Italian, featured in the last handful of books. But through it all--through most if not all of the nine books there has been Dave the Laugh. Her on-again off-again snogging partner, her best mate. No matter that she's got a boyfriend or that he's got a girlfriend, when these two get together--accidental snogging almost always sort've happens. For the record, I love, love, love Dave the Laugh. And my *favorite* scenario to end the series--if it does ever end which doesn't seem that likely--would be to have her end up with Dave.

Very slight spoilers ahead.

My thoughts on Stop in the Name of Pants. I thought it was better than the last one in the series, Love Is A Many Trousered Thing. Quite a bit better actually. It seemed less superfluous. It seemed funnier. It could be that it featured Dave the Laugh much more than the last few books. And his presence always makes for a more enjoyable read. While none of the books are really known for their depth, this one is not as shallow as previous titles. Perhaps it's a bit of wishful thinking on my part. But with Georgia's parents having difficulty, and Angus's close call (I was really nervous there for a bit), it just seemed grounded. Georgia is used to spending all her time in her own little world focused on boys, boys, boys, and the occasional spare thought for her friends. In this one, she seemed to have occasional moments of sanity where she saw beyond that. I just caught the barest glimpse that maybe just maybe Georgia is more than she seems.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

8 comments:

Jennie said...

SPOILERS!

Yes, and the thing with Angus made me CRY. But I love Dave even more because of his response. And I'm really glad she's single at the moment. I hope she stay single for at least a book or two.

Becky said...

Still spoilers!

I know. I was tearing up too. And when Dave was there for her during this time, I was just cheering and cheering. And that scene where he's hanging out with her little sister and being so great. I just love him!!!

Mercy's Maid said...

*Covers her eyes so she won't accidentally see spoilers*

I love this series. Georgia makes me giggle. I haven't liked the last few in the series as much as some of the earlier ones, but I haven't read this latest one yet, so I hold on to hope that something will eventually HAPPEN in these books to break up the monotony.

Anonymous said...

i really want her 2 end up with robbie because he was her first love there soooo cute together and it made me cry when she said she masimo (stupid idiot ) and he started 2 cry in luurve is a many troused thing

Anonymous said...

I love all of georgia's books therre sooo grooovy I love Dave the L if i was her i would soooo go owt wit him hes sooo funi n nice Robbie seem a little shy n Masimo is a dick foa not snogging her in ... That when it fell off into my hand...

Anonymous said...

SMALL BIT OF A SPOILER!!!!!!
I really want georgia to end up with Robbie he is sooooo HOT and AWSOME but I have a feeling that she'll eithier be single, go out with Dave the L or a new Sex God will come along. I haven't read the 8th and 9th books yet but I know that Robbie goes out with Lindsy, I really much hope that they'll break up and Robbie will go out with Georgia as I've said before!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I really think she should go out with the sex god. He is soooo hot in the film. I hate Massimo he is a bum! :-)

Unknown said...

this book was great! i loved itt! it was excitingg, and was dramicc. i cried about what happened to angus, and cheered when dave reacted the way he did.